Principal Firmware Engineer - Derby
gap professional are looking for a permanent Principal Firmware Engineer for our client, a Global Engineering Services provider, for their team based in Derby to work on projects for their client, a global defence industry leader.
This Senior Firmware Engineer would be responsible for the design and development of Firmware designs using VHDL and verifying designs using VHDL or System Verilog. The Principal Firmware engineer would work closely with Systems, Hardware and Software teams to provide firmware solutions and solve integration problems on complex systems.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Creating innovative and robust VHDL-based designs
- Documenting and recording deliverables
- Verifying firmware designs
- Ensuring configuration management/keeping designs under revision control
- Providing progress reports
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
- Degree in Electronics Engineering or another STEM-based subject, or equivalent experience.
- Good experience of developing firmware using VHDL or Verilog
- Experienced with Mentor Graphics FPGA development tools including HDL Designer, ModelSim / Questa and Precision
- Familiar with Xilinx / Intel (Altera) / Microsemi (Actel) ISE design flow and third-party synthesis tools
- Ability to analyse system and / or hardware level requirements and derive detailed Firmware requirements
- De-bugging firmware designs and supporting integration & verification at hardware
- and system level
- A good understanding of firmware version control and revision control software
- Ability to coordinate day to day technical activities, liaising closely with the Project Engineering Lead / Lead firmware engineer & other disciplines
- Excellent communication (oral & written) & interpersonal skills
- Experience in writing technical reports/ documentation
- Development of real-time, embedded, safety-critical firmware, preferably in accordance with RTCA/DO-254 DAL A or B
- Experience of firmware requirements capture and requirements management tools
- Relevant experience in the Aerospace or Defence industry
- Experience of embedded processor cores (e.g. ARM) in FPGA designs
- Independent verification using VHDL or SystemVerilog / UVM
UK citizenship is mandatory to be able to clear the background checks and obtain unrestricted SC clearance. Current valid SC clearance would be an advantage.
The role is likely to be based out of Edinburgh for about 3-6 months with a move back to Derby.
gap professional are acting as an Employment Agency on behalf of its client
gap professional are committed to the selection, recruitment and development of the best people, basing judgement solely on suitability for the job. Whilst we endeavour to respond to all applications individually, due to high volumes, this is not always possible. Thank you for your interest in this role and we look forward to working with you in the future.